Thursday, August 13, 2009

SID FREUDENSTEIN
Although I did not compete or coach in Colorado in the sixties, I arrived in 1969 and met many of you then and when I became more involved in the 70’s and 80’s. Actually, I believe I was in at least one USGF competition at the Air Force Academy in the late sixties? The following is a modified bio I first made in 2005 for another event.

Before High School

I started flipping while in 6th grade when my grandfather found me alone at home diving off the rafters in the garage on to an old couch. He enrolled me in diving school at Sammy Lee's swim & dive club. I didn't really like diving, because I wore glasses, but I did learn a little trampoline (you would never have guessed that if you saw me compete!) In Jr. high, there were some bars and rings outside in a sandpit and I taught myself kips and giant swings (with straps). I didn't know the names of the skills then, I just saw other kids doing them.

High School

Started formal gymnastics as a sophomore in 1960 under Ron Amster at Anaheim High School, CA. He was responsible for my initial success. I won many competitions, mostly on tumbling, floor and vault. In my senior year, I was the High Point Man (closest to All-Around) at the Southern Calif. State Championships.

Cal was Amster's first choice for me, but my grades weren't quite good enough. I was awarded a scholarship to Univeresity of Southern California, and since many of my high school chums went there, I was excited to go. When I went to matriculate, there was no packet for me! When I went to the A.D's office, he told me I was rejected and my scholarship went to someone else, (who only lasted two years)! I was devastated, but I enrolled at Santa Ana Jr. College and continued to train at my high school.

I finally made it to Cal in 1964 and graduated in 1968 with a degree in physics. My highlights at Cal are many. I had a wonderful time, and met some incredible people. I was injured much of my first year, but my sophomore year saw much progress. I won many invitationals, PAC 8. and regional titles. Here is a highlight list of some regional, national and international awards.

1964 - Pasedena Invit. 2nd Vault

1965 - USGF Invite - 1st PB, V, FX, 2nd AA

1966 - NCAA Nationals - 3rd Vault

Pasedena Invite - 2nd V, 3rd FX

USGF Nationals - 2nd FX, V

PAC 8 Championships - 1st Vault

1968 - Olympic Trials - 3rd

NCAA Championships - 1st FX and Team

PAC 8 - 1st V, FX

North American Championships, Vancover - 1st FX, V, Team, Team Capitan.

World University Games, Tokyo - 2nd FX

In the summer of 1966, I was chosen, thanks to my coach, Hal Frey, to attend an Olympic training camp at Penn State, and most importantly a USGF alternate to the World Championships in Dortmund Germany. This had a profound effect on me, because I realized that some of my idols were human and made mistakes in training also.

I was married in March of 1967.

In the summer of '67, I was chosen (again thanks to Hal) to the World University Games in Tokyo. I placed second in floor exercise against some of the best in the world. I was stoked!

My senior year in 1968, at the NCAA Championships I tied for first on Floor Exercise, and we won the Team title in a thrilling ending.

On the way to the Olympics

•19th out of 20 selected in 1st trials!

•1-2 week training camp at Natchitoches, La

•My first daughter, Liesl was born August 1968.

•2nd in 2nd trials at Penn State (top 6 from first trials not present)

•3rd in Final Trials at UCLA (see article by Jim Murray following Art White’s bio)

•Training at UCLA and Colorado Springs

•Chosen co-captain of the 1968 Olympic Gymnastics Team

I was sick in Mexico City for several training days, but did well in general. I was told I would have made the finals on floor if our compulsory session hadn't been first thing in the morning when the scoring was low.

After 1968

Entered graduate school at University of Colorado (CU), in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. I had a second child and occasionally judged high school gymnastics meets. My last couple of years in grad school, I announced CU's home meets. Thank you Dave Wardell! When CU needed a temporary (I thought) coach, I agreed to be head couch for a year while I found a physics job.

I started as head coach at CU in the fall of 1976. I finished my Ph.D. in Physics in 1976-7, and started to teach physics at Metropolitan State College of Denver in the spring of 1977. I did both until CU dropped 7 sports, including gymnastics in 1980. When I took over, the team was in shambles, I hired Buzz Clark, and at the end we were ranked preseason in the top-ten. I relish my time as coach at CU. It is where I met some incredible Colorado people and felt like I made a difference in Colorado gymnastics. Remember the big meet in the Coors Event Center with the young Japanese team and several future Olympians for the USA? Too bad the university didn’t see fit to continue the program. I felt so bad for the disappointed student-athletes who had to make some hard and potentially life changing decisions. Dropping the sport was devastating for the Colorado high school programs as well.

In 1980 and 1982, I was chosen by the state of Colorado to be the exchange coach of a sister-state program in Brazil. I taught clinics to coaches and teachers. They sent soccer coaches to Colorado (what else?)

In 1982, I started and directed a not-for-profit private club (along with ex-CU gymnast, Rob Candelaria) called Colorado Academy of Artistic Gymnastics (CAAG). It grew to its maximum of 417 students right after the '84 Olympics. The City of Boulder then opened a program (with ex-CSU gymnast, Ron Cresentini) and took our more lucrative beginner’s business by significantly undercutting our rates.

In 1987, I left the club because it was taking too much time from my college teaching and family. The team parents took over and soon left it to Rob. The gym is now called CATS. That same year I married one of the gym parents, the beautiful Kathleen (then Taylor). My two daughters were 18 and 14. Kathy’s daughter was 12 and so we had our hands full with three teenage daughters living with us!

We completely remodeled our Victorian house in Boulder (had to make room)! It has been on a couple of house and garden tours.

Our first grandchild was born on Thanksgiving Day 2000. Four others came, all about a year apart. All five live with their parents in or near Boulder.

I have published and given talks on the biomechanics of gymnastics and I authored a teaching manual for major textbook in physics. I have also published several papers in plasma physics, and teacher education. I have been chair of the department at Metro since 1995.

In 2005 I was inducted into the University of California Athletic Hall of Fame.

In December, 2008, I had a total knee replacement due to an old injury, (snapped my ACL while tumbling on our new spring floor during our winter clinic, 1979). Note the pre-surgery left knee in the Venice (not Las Vegas) picture.

I am glad Pat thought of contacting me even though I am not an “official” 60’s alum. I have many good memories of Colorado completions, clinics, NORCO camps. Etc. but most of all, the people I met. I am grateful for the help and memories many of you gave me, CU and CAAG.

Have a great reunion!

Sid

No comments:

Post a Comment