Sunday, August 16, 2009

One of the newspaper clippings from earlier in the blog declared "3-Man Gym Team Wins Gym Title." I was fortunate to be one of the the three but at the same time I knew we had a lot of other good members on that team - Tim Larson and Ken Macaulay went on to take state championships the following year. So I went and looked at the state meet results and the article was right - so here is a photo from the reunion of those three along with Coach White - Tom Proulx, Pat Edwards and Rich Murahata. The only thing we won at the reunion was biggest waistline!
Now here's a reunion story I hadn't heard before but Ed Klanecky shared with me and since he's an Aurora Central alum I don't know if I should believe him or not. I am inclined to believe him though since he's a first class guy and always has been.
Anyway on with the "story."
Ed told me that the "powers that be" were considering a rule change for the '66 season to determine how the team championship would be determined. Rather than giving points for where competitors placed the option was proposed to move to the format that now exists where are individual scores are added up to determine the team score. Ed shared that Aurora Central thought they had greater depth than Fairview so Coach Robinson wanted to go to the new format while Coach White wanted to stay with the existing format. The traditionalists won and a "three-man" team won the state meet. I personally don't agree with AC's belief that a rule change would have provided them an opportunity to win the team title but someone would have to dig up some individual scores of the team members to get some idea of who is right. And of course teams like Wasson, Lincoln and Ranum might want to add their two cents as well.


SO WHERE ARE SOME MORE STORIES FROM THE REUNION OR FROM YOUR MEMORIES? AND SOME OF YOU PROMISED ME MORE OLD MEMORIES, CLIPS AND PHOTOS THAT YOU HAVEN'T DELIVERED ON YET - SO GET WITH IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment