Friday, August 7, 2009

Larry Hoffschneider writes: Blogging is not my cup of tea. Better late than never.
After graduation in January 1969, Carla and I moved to Connecticut for my first job. I went to work for Pratt & Whiney Aircraft designing and testing jet engines. While in Connecticut we had our first child (She is married to an F16 pilot and lives in Texas). We moved to Florida in 1970 and continued working for Pratt & Whitney at their Florida Research & Development Center. We had our second child in Florida in 1972 and he lives in Aurora, CO.

We moved back to Denver/Aurora in mid 1974 and I went to work for Stearns-Roger in September of 1974. We have lived in Aurora since 1974. I have worked for Stearns Roger/Stearns-Catalytic/Air Products/United Engineers & Constructors/Raytheon Engineers & Constructors/Washington Group International since 1974 except for 3 years working for Martin Marietta. The current name of the company I work for is URS Washington Division. I am currently a Project Engineering Manager for the company. I have had the good fortune of working on launch complexes at Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg Air Force Base. I worked on the Titan IV project while at Martin Marietta. I have had the opportunity to work on power plants, petroleum & petrochemical, test facilities, and numerous other assignments over my carrier. Also had the opportunity to visit Pad 39 with the Space Ship Atlantis on the pad and stood under the engines.
As our son was growing up he participated in gymnastics at the Aurora School of Gymnastics and was coached by Gil Salazar. I also helped coach on a part time basis for Gil.
Since I was not able to maintain my activities in gymnastics I branched out in to other sport activities. I have been running since 1981 and have participated in 16 marathons including the Boston Marathon. Since 1991 have been biking off and on just to stay in shape as well as running at a much slower pace. I have gotten into playing golf as well.
I have a wonderful and loving wife whom most of you know since we were married in 1967. Yes! This year makes it 42 years. Of course Jack & Tracey have us beat on that record. I’ll give them a 10. As you may have noted above we have two children, which has now resulted in 4 grandchildren of which the oldest is 14 and the youngest is 4. We enjoy spending time with our grandchildren and I look forward to the days when I am retired and have more time to enjoy them. Carla has worked until recently and she has retired this year. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment