Friday, July 17, 2009

TIM LARSON

Although I can’t make it to the big event, I thought I would contribute something to the “Geriatrics Today” blog. Wow…it’s great that so many of us are still walking and talking. Anyway, here’s my story:

After winning a couple of medals at the 1967 state meet, I went to CU and spent a couple of years wondering how I was going to overcome my complete lack of talent for gymnastics. I resolved things by leaving the sport to the rest of you after my sophomore year, but not before getting to know a lot of good people and registering a lot of good memories.

For the past six years, I’ve been the communications manager for the City of Sammamish, a suburb about 20 miles east of Seattle. Moving backwards through time, I was a newspaper reporter for four years, a local TV news producer for 6 years, and a TV reporter, weatherman, and Evening Magazine host for about 15 years. Prior to entering TV, I was a radio DJ for about 6 years, something I had as much aptitude for as gymnastics. Fortunately, I was good at the TV, newspaper and communications stuff.

I married Margaret Larson in 1982. You might remember her – she was the news anchor on the Today Show with Bryant Gumbel and Katie Couric back in the early 90’s. She also worked for Dateline NBC for several years. We left New York in ’93 after we figured we didn’t want to raise our newborn son there. I got a job at KIRO-TV in Seattle and we’ve been here ever since. Margaret worked here as a local anchor for several years, but now works as a communications consultant for a bunch of international relief agencies.

Things are good. My son, Kyle, is almost 17 and pitches for the Issaquah High School baseball team. Margaret, Kyle, our dog Molly, and I spend a lot of time watching baseball, working, relaxing and enjoying the Northwest. When Kyle goes off to college, we’re thinking of moving somewhere sunnier, but we’ve really enjoyed our time here.

I want to thank Pat for putting all this together. It’s been great to look at the pictures, both old and new, and to read the bio’s. I also want to thank Coach White. Coach, if you read this, please know that you were a real blessing in my life. When I first met you in 1965, I had just returned from overseas and was going to school in the U.S. for the first time since 6th grade. I was scared to death. Wasn’t sure I could cut it in the big “USA.” Anyway, stumbling into gymnastics for the first time that year, and getting to know you and the guys on the team, was a huge confidence boost for me. I immediately felt like I was part of something special, and it was all because you were special. You were the kind of coach guys wanted to work for, win for, and, to twist a line from a movie, the kind of coach that made us all want to be better men. That may sound sentimental, but hey, check it out – even Pat turned out okay! Thanks again for everything, and I hope you and the rest of the guys have a wonderful time! Maybe I’ll make it to the next one.

Tim Larson

Fairview ‘67

No comments:

Post a Comment