Friday, July 24, 2009

Ken Macaulay (for a nice photo of young Ken see Art White's post that's back a few)
I don’t have a lot of pictures handy, so I’ll try to paint one. After graduating from CU in August of ’73 (B.S. in Business Administration, Major in Accounting) I was unable to find suitable work in the Boulder/Denver area, so I relocated to Santa Barbara, CA in January of ’74 and started with the Sambo’s Restaurants, Inc. headquarters as their Assistant to the Internal Auditor. After several promotions, (the last being to Corporate Tax Mgr.) Sambo’s went Chapter 7 (bankrupt) and the Management team from Motel 6, Inc. (which had taken over control of SRI on the orders of their owners, City Investing, Inc.) transferred me to Motel 6 as their Tax Manager in ’79. After two years with them I stepped back to work with a couple of CPA firms (to complete my accounting education, really) where I met my future wife, Catherine Hagen. We were married October 20, 1984 and because of certain IRS issues, I returned to work at Motel 6 as their Director of Administrative Accounting (it’s all about the money and taxes).

On March 14,1987 our first son was born, Sean Hagen Macaulay. Kevin Raymond Macaulay was born April 3, 1989. Both are attending college, so there goes my retirement. I left Motel 6 when they relocated to Dallas and worked for a land development company for a couple of years and then for the United Way of Ventura County for the next six years. I’ve been working as CFO for SOILMOISTURE EQUIPMENT CORP. for the last 12 years and Cathy and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this coming October. She doesn’t know it yet, but I’ve booked reservations for a trip to Hawaii in November. Like Tim Larson, I felt a little like a fish out of water when I first arrived in Boulder in my sophomore year in High School. Coach White kept me so busy with school and workouts it took the edge off of my fear and discomfort. Much of all I’ve accomplished in my life I can blame on a coach who let me know that success sometimes isn’t as immediate as we’d like it to be. Patience, diligence, confidence and perseverance are the keys to attaining anything worthwhile. If the path to your destination is littered with insurmountable obstacles, find another path or pick another destination. I feel very lucky and blessed to have gotten where I am and I am not unnecessarily worried about where I am going. Right now I’m getting ready to see some people with whom I shared one of the greatest time of my life with.

So, aside from years of Cub Scouts & Boy Scouts and all the hiking, fishing and camping “in the wild” that goes with that, city league softball, tennis and golf and the associated reconstructive surgery that went with that, there’s a snapshot of my last 42 years. We can fill in some of the blanks on Friday and Saturday for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment