Wednesday, July 8, 2009

For new visitors there are several pages to the blog so at the bottom click on older posts to see more!

Now we're getting some cooperation!

Since Bobby is so busy Cathy Fisher sent me the following website. I can't figure out how to save them into my files to post so you'll have to be happy going to his blog. There are quite a few great photos of all kinds of "old" gymnasts.
I just sent you an email with the web site of photos - it is titled Cole and Calvin Fisher 2009 - you can look at our grandchildren, but to see gymnastic photos click on "Gymnastics" - our grandchildren are as cute as Bobby Fisher was 45 years ago!
go to: http://web.me.com/catfish32819.
Cathy

Got this from Dominick Rose in response to last night's plea for new material.
No pictures here but I wonder how many of us:
1: Walked down the old "Foothills Mall", in Boulder, on our hands (Kirk & I and a few other Fairview Gymnasts... I don't remember who else)
2: Walked through four States on their hands (Kirk & I and our brother Tim at 4-Corners)
3: Did Handstands on the edge of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (again Kirk & I, gave our mother fits!)
4: Did Handstands on the ridge of Kirk's house in Portales NM (Kirk, Dominick, Tim (other brother Darrryl) & Tom Proulx)
OK so #4 is optional...
Dominick


Except for Kirk Rose finally adding some personal comments to his bio there's nothing new to post on the blog. If you're bored or disappointed when you check here then send me something to post - your bio, a memory, a humorous anecdote, a newspaper clipping - anything to make an old gymnast's heart young and carefree.


I know many of us have been guilty of what I'm doing in this photo - showing off in public - walking on our hands in a mall, doing handstands on railings or tumbling down the sidewalk. This was on my honeymoon and is at Four Corners. My head is in Colorado, right arm New Mexico, left arm Utah and feet Arizona. Got any photos like this you can share? (A day after asking this question Vince sent his 4 Corners photo.)


One of my romantic highlights occurred at a meet at the old CU Fieldhouse. I was far from what anyone would consider a player - I probably dated 5 girls all told in high school and college. But in my sophomore year I met my then-to-be wife. She had a regular guy at Mines and liked to play the field so even though there was some chemistry we hadn't been out yet. So I took another girl to one of my first competitive college meets (where hopefully I would impress her).
As it happened Chris (now my wife) convinced a swimmer who was taking her out
to come to the gymnastics meet and he didn't mind because he was a fan of our sport and didn't know it was her interest in me that motivated the suggestion. When I finally spotted my date in the small crowd I waved up at her and she smiled and waved back. But then I noticed something else. Sitting directly behind her but up half a dozen rows sat Chris smiling and waving as well. So there I was for once in my life feeling like I was a mover as everytime I smiled and waved two attractive, blue eyed, long-haired blonds (one Swedish and one German) smiled and waved back. Naturally I had to share my good fortune with my team mates and all of us enjoyed the meet more than normal because of the "cheerleaders" who were unaware of each other's presence smiling and waving to me and them.

Now surely some of you have much better memories than that. So send me something - I'll even clean it up for you if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment