Friday, June 19, 2009

Pat:
I don’t have a bio, competitive photo or even a current photo to send. However, I have spent the good part to the day remembering the “good old days” as inspired by the blog. Thank you so much for your efforts to pull this together. I will not be able to attend because of a commitment to go to Alaska during that time period. It would be really nice to be able to contact some of my teammates and coaches at a later time, and if you could get e-mail addresses or phone #s and residence addresses for later contact, I would be forever grateful. I have lost contact with most of the Aurora and CU gymnasts. I was graduated from Aurora in 1961. I competed only in 1960 (1st year), and spent most of the year learning trampoline (a back flip). My senior year at Aurora was spent in a back brace and precluded competition. In those days, as you may recall, no one could compete in their freshman year at college. My sophomore year at CU was spent on scholastic probation (grades weren’t what was expected of me), so I competed at CU 1963 – 1965. Hello to Art White, Don Robinson, and Glen Wilson. Art and Don organized a car trip to Sarasota, Florida I think in 1960 for the winter clinic. I remember traveling two thousand and some miles in the “slot” in the station wagon between the rear two seats. For Tom Jenkins, get me your contact info and I’ll call the next time I am in your town. Also, my hellos to Lonnie Arfsten, Bob Poston, Dave Wardell, Oliver Frascona, Eric Singer, Terry Truman, Bill Padia, Jack & Jim Ryan, Charlie Jackson, and all the other guys that show up. Thanks again for the invitation, and I hope that you (or we) can create a network that we can do a better job of staying in touch.

Richard McCabe
(303) 449-9638
(303) 444-4422
richard@coreone.us
526 Arapahoe Ave., Boulder, CO 80302








It may not look like it here but this guy was a state, USGF and NCAA champion!
Jack Ryan









Bobby Fisher - the first "superstar" I remember as a lowly sophomore.
'64 State Champ: All Around, Floor Ex, Vaulting, Parallel Bars, Tumbling









Courtney Willis
State Champ - Floor Ex '62
(with what I'm told was his trademark smile)














Greg Deist
State Champ High Bar
'65










Jim Barber
State Champ - Floor Ex '65
















Tom Proulx
- Now and Then


Another "superstar" - '66 State Champ: Floor Ex, Tumbling,
High Bar (dang, I need to dig out my scrap books!)
'70 NCAA Floor Ex Champ, World Tumbling Champion

OK here is the best I can remember about what I've been up to since High School.
I went to PCC in 1966 with Boger, Heinrich, Al Johnson, and Gary Strange, (Del's little brother). Stayed there for two years, won a few events and championships, got married (for the first time) and moved on to CSU. During my tenure at CSU my wife gave birth to our son (Steven) in 1969. I won the NCAA's in floor ex in 1970 and that's about all that happened with my college. After that I went out to California to coach with the SCATS, (Cathy Rigby and company). That worked out for a couple of years until I had to get a real job. At the time I was the highest paid SCAT coach ever, $50.00 per week. With the birth of my daughter (Jennifer) in 1972 I had to do better than two or three part time jobs. I took a position with the Owego SCAMPS in Owego NY. This was a full time job coaching with a real salary so I took it. Things went well for a few years and I just couldn't handle NY any longer. I moved back to Ft. Collins CO and coached the CSU Women's gymnastics team. This was good but it didn't pay very well (what's new!!) so I got divorced from my 1st wife and married one of the gymnasts from the CSU team. To say the least I could not see her while I was coaching so I had to quit. We went to California and started coaching with Boger at a school he had at that time in Pasadena. That didn't work out due to conflicts in coaching philosophies. OK it's time to move on again. My wife and I went to Las Vegas. I got a job in the show at the Tropicana Hotel dancing and tumbling. I did that for a couple of years until my wife and I worked up an act of our own and started performing at the Imperial Palace hotel. We did that until the recession of 1984 or so when shows in Vegas were closing down like crazy. It's time to move into a new line of work. During my stay in Vegas I met a guy named Lee Greenwood. He was a lounge act singing and playing keyboard. I also got my black belt in karate and thought I could use this in a different line of work. To make a long story short Lee Greenwood went to Nashville TN and was starting to become the new up and coming country singer of the day. I moved to Nashville and became his personal bodyguard for the next five years or so. This was a fun gig but we were on the road 280 days every year. This was not good on marriage number two. I did during this time do something pretty cool, I helped write the song "God bless the USA" with Lee Greenwood.
I know this bio is going on and on forever but I've done a lot of crazy s--t over the past 40 or more years and you can feel free to edit any way you want.
By the way I forgot a couple of things. During the CSU woman's coaching period I went to Riga Russia in 1976 and competed in the world power tumbling championships. Did real well there. During the Las Vegas period I was on the TV show "That's Incredible" and set a world's record by doing a back flip over a seven foot wall.
This is about all the major points except for my third marriage to Bonnie in 1999 and the couple of CD's I have recorded with my classical guitar playing.
I guess this is all I can remember or want to remember.
Tom






When Lincoln

RULED gymnastics!

Ted Nadeau
Mike Gurian
Coach Jim Hartman






No comments:

Post a Comment