Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Year of The Golden Buffs - 1968 (courtesy of Gary Pomeranz)























Gary
Pomeranz
And as he flew off in a cloud of dust we heard him exclaim."Hi Yo Silver and Away!"

First of all, I’d like to thank Pat Edwards for persisting in making this reunion actually happen. The following brief paragraph will fill in the gap of my last 40 years and I did manage to dig up some memorabilia to share in photos and newspaper articles, which give us the opportunity to relive some fine times.

I finished my competitive career in gymnastics when I graduated from CU in 1970. I met the love of my life, Debra, at Boulder during college and we were married in 1970. I attended the University of Colorado Medical School in Denver from 70-74 but I made the time to judge high school gymnastics meets and to coach tumbling at the Highlander Boys Club. I did an internship in Upstate New York through a Columbia University affiliate and then spent two years as a Family Practice doc in a small town in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State. I then entered a residency in disease and surgery of the eyes at the University of Washington in Seattle. Upon completion of this training, we moved to Reno, Nevada, and have lived and worked here ever since. We’ve raised three children and, early on, I coached at a local gym called Flips. But, alas, after a herniated disc in my low back and a knee replacement six years ago, my participation in gymnastics is limited to hand stand presses on the ground and flips and twists only into water.

I ponder what would draw together this disparate group of early life acquaintances? I can only conclude that it consists of sharing the Zen of gymnastics in a formative time of our lives. This and the generally common depravity of the participants seem to have established a bond that transcends the decades. We all participated in a sport where you compete against yourself and the team is there primarily to support you when you fail and reassure you that perfection is generally the exception rather than the rule. The fact that you can’t blame your team mates for your crash means they never posed a threat. So the camaraderie followed very comfortably and the memories are still fond.

I’m looking forward to sharing these sentiments and seeing what the years have done to us all.
Gary Pomeranz

(Pat,
I can't get the comments thing working on the blog but Pomeranz is as cute now as he was 40 years ago!
Rich J.)


No comments:

Post a Comment